Upward Bound provides year-long academic support, career exploration, and cultural enrichment for students in 9-11th grades.
Summer 2021 Update
TRIO Programs is offering face-to-face tutoring in math and writing for TRIO students in TAC 105A by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Appointments can be made by calling or texting Liisa Preslan at 360-219-3368 or emailing email@example.com. TRIO students should check their TRiO Canvas Class for more specific information.
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound, a part of Centralia College's Trio Programs, is a federally funded program that provides career and education planning services for low-income, minority, and first generation, degree-seeking, college-bound high school students.
Year-Round Services Upward Bound provides year-long academic support (tutoring, study skills and test
preparation), career exploration (workshops, conferences,
guest speakers, job shadowing, classes and mentoring), and cultural enrichment (field trips, performances and special events).
Summer Program The Upward Bound summer program is offered for six weeks every summer. At least one summer's participation is mandatory. The summer program is a fun way for students to keep up with their studies during the summer months, prepare for the next academic year, and catch up on subjects where they might be struggling.
At the end of each week of the program, students are taken on exciting field trips that are academically and culturally enriching. The field trips range from campus visits to outdoor adventures like canoeing and hiking. All field trips and classroom expenses are covered so there are not financial costs on the students or families. In addition, the students have the opportunity to earn a monthly stipend during the academic year and up to $60 during the summer program.
Students are eligible to participate in Upward Bound if they:
- Are currently enrolled in 9th, 10th, or 11th grade
- Are attending either Centralia, Rochester, or Toledo High School
- Have academic potential
- Want to go to college
- Are a member of a low-income family and/or a family in which neither parent received a four-year college degree; and are willing to make a commitment to the Upward Bound program.
- Able to commit to the summer program
- Academic Support: tutoring, study skills, test preparation
- Career Exploration: workshops, conferences, guest speakers, job shadowing, classes, mentoring
- College Entrance Support: college applications, financial aid forms, scholarship applications, campus tours
- Cultural Enrichment: field trips, performances, special events
- Six-Week Summer Program: instruction in Language arts, Mathematics, Foreign Language, and Science. Weekly field trips and college campus visits are a part of this program.
Upward Bound Staff
Email Liisa Preslan
Anthony (Tony) Holm
Serving Centralia High School
Email Tony Holm
Email Kathleen Vodjansky-Ward
Email Marqus Gilson
Email Elva Villanueva
Serving Toledo and Rochester High Schools
Email Jonathan McMillan