Need help with a paper, essay, or writing assignment? Meet with one of our consultants for free and without an appointment!
Contact the Writing Center
TransAlta Commons Room 301
9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday - Thursday
9 a.m. - 12 p.m. Friday (until Dec. 2)
After hours assistance in the Kirk Library: 4-8 p.m. Monday and Wednesday until Dec. 2
Can't come to campus to meet with a consultant? Get feedback by submitting your paper to the Writing Center through your Student Portal!
Submit Papers Online
- Visit the Student Portal
- Log in with your student email address and password
- Click on the Writing Center link on the left side of the screen
- Find the Writing Center Dropbox near the middle of the page and follow the instructions on the screen
We Encourage Each Student to:
- Be prepared to actively participate in the learning process.
- Bring any materials (such as any handouts, books, drafts, or notes) thatmight be useful in a session.
- Ask questions. Consultants are willing to explain a concept several times and in different ways.
- Be the author of the paper. The consultant will provide suggestions, but the student makes the final decision about waht is in the writing.
- Start a paper as early as possible so there is time to complete the assignement and revise it.
- Try out different consultants to find one that is a good fit.
We Encourage Each Consultant to:
- Be available to students who are looking for help and actively listen to student questions.
- Create a positive learning environment by being professional, polite, and approachable.
- Look first for those errors that will affect an essay on a global level before looking for sentence-level errors.
- Continue to improve and learn new skills that might help students.
- Model important learning skills by consulting resources when he or she does not know the answer to a student's question.
- Encourage open communication between a student and an instructor when the student has a question about grades or instructor expectations.
- Article Usage (Word)
- Coordination and Subordination (PDF)
- Dependent Words (PDF)
- Sentence Fragments and Run-ons (PDF)
- Punctuation Overview (PDF)
- Run-on Sentences (PDF)
- Sentence Structure (PDF)
- Sentence Types (PDF)
- Subjects (PDF)
- Verbs of Attribution (PDF)
- Verb Tense Summary (PDF)
- Words and Phrases to Logically Connect Ideas (PDF)
- Dave's ESL Cafe (website)
- GRAMMAR BYTES! Grammar Instruction with Attitude (website)
- Guide to Grammar and Writing (website)
- Best Works of Fiction (website)
- RhymeZone - Rhyming Dictionary and Thesaurus, Shakespeare, Mother Goose, and more (website)
Scholarship Applications and Essays
The Writing Center’s Mission
The Writing Center supports Centralia College’s mission by providing a welcoming and inclusive learning environment that supports students in developing writing skills needed to succeed in academic endeavors and achieve scholastic excellence.
Our Writing Center and its consultants are committed to:
- Providing quality consultation services and resources that support students with any phase of the writing process as they work on assignments from a wide range of classes or disciplines.
- Engaging in ongoing training and professional development to ensure that the Writing Center can effectively meet the needs of the students and faculty it serves.
The Writing Center will endeavor to:
- Offer its consultants training on topics related to writing, peer-tutoring, and working with a diverse population of students.
- Arrange workshops and events that introduce students to writing skills necessary for academic success.
- Utilize peer consultants to provide students with face-to-face or online feedback on their writing as they move through the different stages of the writing process.
- Maintain a library of reference materials regarding a variety of writing topics from a range of disciplines.
- Promote the Writing Center services so that students are aware of the support available to them as they pursue their chosen academic paths.
- Liaise with faculty and staff to ensure that the center is continuing to meet the needs of its stakeholders.