Need help with a paper, essay, or writing assignment? Meet with one of our consultants for free and without an appointment!
Contact the Writing Center
TransAlta Commons Room 301
9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Monday - Thursday (until Aug. 22)
After hours assistance in the Kirk Library: 4-8 p.m. Monday and Wednesday until Aug. 12
Can't come to campus to meet with a consultant? Get feedback by submitting your paper to the Writing Center through your Student Portal!
Submit Papers Online
- Visit the Student Portal
- Log in with your student email address and password
- Click on the "My Support" link at the top of the screen
- Find the Writing Center Dropbox near the middle of the page and follow the instructions on the screen
We Encourage Each Student to:
- Be prepared to actively participate in the learning process.
- Bring any materials (such as any handouts, books, drafts, or notes) thatmight be useful in a session.
- Ask questions. Consultants are willing to explain a concept several times and in different ways.
- Be the author of the paper. The consultant will provide suggestions, but the student makes the final decision about waht is in the writing.
- Start a paper as early as possible so there is time to complete the assignement and revise it.
- Try out different consultants to find one that is a good fit.
We Encourage Each Consultant to:
- Be available to students who are looking for help and actively listen to student questions.
- Create a positive learning environment by being professional, polite, and approachable.
- Look first for those errors that will affect an essay on a global level before looking for sentence-level errors.
- Continue to improve and learn new skills that might help students.
- Model important learning skills by consulting resources when he or she does not know the answer to a student's question.
- Encourage open communication between a student and an instructor when the student has a question about grades or instructor expectations.
- Article Usage (Word)
- Coordination and Subordination (PDF)
- Dependent Words (PDF)
- Sentence Fragments and Run-ons (PDF)
- Punctuation Overview (PDF)
- Run-on Sentences (PDF)
- Sentence Structure (PDF)
- Sentence Types (PDF)
- Subjects (PDF)
- Verbs of Attribution (PDF)
- Verb Tense Summary (PDF)
- Words and Phrases to Logically Connect Ideas (PDF)
- Dave's ESL Cafe (website)
- GRAMMAR BYTES! Grammar Instruction with Attitude (website)
- Guide to Grammar and Writing (website)
- Best Works of Fiction (website)
- RhymeZone - Rhyming Dictionary and Thesaurus, Shakespeare, Mother Goose, and more (website)