Chemical Dependency Professional
The Chemical Dependency program is for adults who want rewarding careers in drug and alcohol rehabilitation.
Students who complete the degree and an internship fulfill Washington Administrative Code requirements toward a Chemical Dependency Professional (CDP) certification.
Steps to Become a CDP
- Begin the Chemical Dependency Professional degree program at Centralia College.
- Become a registered counselor by completing the Chemical Dependency Trainee Application.
- Begin your internship (a minimum of 2,500 hours of experience is required; hours can be accumulated during your education).
- Pass a certification test.
When all of the above steps are completed, students are eligible to apply for credentials from Washington State as a Chemical Dependency Professional (CDP).
Career Opportunities Washington State is currently experiencing a shortage of Chemical Dependency Professionals. Certified CDPs work in many different treatment settings:
- Residential and Outpatient Facilities
- Probation Offices
- Corrections Departments
- Mental Health Agencies
- Prevention Programs
Chemical Dependency Professional Education Plan
Degree: Associate in Applied Science
Total Credits: 93
- CDP 100 Chemical Dependency Introduciton - 5 credits
- ENGL& 101 English Composition I OR WRT 105 Writing in the Workplace - 5 credits
- IT 117 Introduction to Windows OS - 3 credits
- PSYC& 100 General Psychology - 5 credits
- CDP 111 Counseling Techniques - 4 credits
- CDP 250 Community Prevention - 3 credits
- NUTR& 101 Nutrition - 5 credits
- PSYC& 200 Lifespan Psychology - 5 credits
- CDP 101 Drug & Alcohol Responses - 5 credits
- MATH& 107 Math in Society* - 5 credits
- SOC& 101 Intruction to Sociology - 5 credits
* MATH& 146 and BUS 121 are optional math courses.
- CDP 120 CDP Law and Ethics - 4 credits
- CDP 140 Counseling Adolescents - 3 credits
- CDP 230 CDP Cultural Diversity - 3 credits
- MCST& 220 Public Speaking - 5 credits
- CDP 130 Assessment & Treatment Plans - 5 credits
- CDP 210 Groups Within Treatment - 4 credits
- CDP 220 Chemical Dependency & Family - 4 credits
- Health and Fitness Distribution - 3 credits
- CDP 240 Relapse Prevention - 2 credits
- CDP 280 CDP Supervised Practicum - 5 credits
- HR 110 Human Relations in the Workplace - 5 credits